  SCSI problems (John English)

From: KCmaniac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: NFS install..not mounting
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 02:11:00 -0400

LRW wrote:

> Trying to install RH on my laptop, and it only has 16 MB RAM (eeep) so it
> won't allow FTP install.
> It doesn't have a CD-ROM, so I'm trying to install via NFS from the CD on
> another Linux box on the network.
> It connects to the net fine, but when I put in the other box's IP and NFS
> directory of /mnt/cdrom or /dev/cdrom it says:
> "I could not mount that directory from the server."
> Whycome?
> I can't find any docs online that address that issue.
> Thanks for any help!

I am no expert but I did successfully do an install onto a PC through another
PC's CDROM using NFS.  I had to do A LOT of reading and trial and error to
get everything right.  You probably will have to also.

You never mentioned what steps you have already tried as well as what RH
version you are messing with.  Is the PC's kernal properly configured to use
NFS?  Do you have all the TCP/IP configuration files set up correctly so that
the PC is the gateway/server and the laptop as a host?  I gather the answer
to this is yes since how you said the two are talking to each other.  Are you
specifying the correct directory structures?  There is a pretty helpful HOWTO
on setting up NFS or installing using NFS out there, you just need to track
it down.  It is a rather complicated procedure and without really knowing
what you already have done it is hard to say what could be wrong.  I don't
know but considering one of the PC's is a laptop that could be throwing
another log into the fire.  You probably should boot the laptop from a
bootnet.img floppy which will conduct the installation from scratch.  Maybe
you are already doing that, I don't know.  Good Luck.

RLH

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 23:40:25 +0100
From: 'Dungeon' Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How To Share Network Connections Among 3 Machines?

.. and it came to pass that Richard Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
uttered forth:
>'Dungeon' Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> .. and it came to pass that Tim Haynes
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered forth:
>
>> >Would you care to elucidate why one woul not want two cards on one
>> >network
>> >and why it would be so fundamentally wrong to do so?
>
>> If your Linux server wanted to go to the network 192.168.1.0, which
>> interface would it pick: eth1 or eth2?
>
>Whichever one had the mask 255.255.255.0 ?

I'm presuming both did, being class-C (but the netmasks weren't
described)
--

"Dungeon" Dave, in anti-harvest mode...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Darren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: get me started
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:43:03 +1000

How do I set up my ports in Mandrake 7.2?

------------------------------

From: "Darren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Palm setup & serial port setup???
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:45:47 +1000

------------------------------

From: Akop Pogosian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Please help me get WIN98 back!!
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 06:55:11 +0000 (UTC)

In comp.os.linux.setup Somphong K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> During this Memorial weekend, I installed Redhat 7.1 (Kernel 2.4.2-2)
> on my PC at home. Win98 is on IDE drive/A and Rh7.1 completely on IDE
> drive/B. I did not realize at the time that part of linux, such as /boot
> partition, had to be on drive/A to use LILO.

That's not true. /boot can be pretty much anywhere, specially with the
LBA32 extensions that the RedHat version of Lilo has. On my PC, the
Linux system is setup on the slave disk IDE disk but Lilo is installed
on the MBR of the boot (master) disk. I have never bothered to change
that. Not only Linux seems to be booting fine from the second HD, but
also FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris 7 and probably others ..

> During graphic installation,I was prompted where to put LILO i.e. in MBR
> or linux drive's boot partition. Unfortunately I decided to avoid fooling
> with MBR and opted for the later.

If you don't install LILO on MBR of the boot disk, then you'd better
have some other multi-os boot loader or a Linux boot floppy or you
won't be able to boot into Linux at all.

> I hoped to restore MBR by executing 'fdisk /MBR' under MSDOS but I was
> surprised to learn that all my Windows rescue and MSDOS diskettes failed
> to even boot. PC tried to boot from the floppies but hang after reading/

If you just mentioned that you "decided to avoid fooling with MBR and
opted for the later" how did you manage to boot into Linux? Did you
change your BIOS settings to boot from that drive? If you did and now
you have trouble booting into widows that probably means Windows
doesn't like residing on the disk other than the one that you boot
from.

> 5) I have MSN connection which I usually use their 'MSN Internet Access'
>    tool to connect. Could and how I connect to MSN from Linux??

I'd be surprised if you can't connect to MSN. You can do a google or a
dejnews search to find that out.

-akop

------------------------------

From: "Darren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Palm setup &serial Ports
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:59:05 +1000

I need help to learn set up my palm pilot. Also the serial ports. I don't
seem to have the foggiest on how to achieve this. Even if you can direct me
to some help files that will actually tell me how. I am using Mandrake 7.2.

------------------------------

From: "Darren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound mystery
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:02:25 +1000

OS Mandrake 7.2 identifies my sound card OK but I don't get sound. I go
through the configuration set-up and it says it is playing a sample Midi
file then asks "Do you hear anything?" I click no and it closes the
configuration tool. Is it just me or is that an absolutely useless
configuration tool if you can not actually do anything?
Please help.

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dennis_En=F8e?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: Madrake 8.0 and Nvidia openGL
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:17:28 +0200

"Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9f10s2$br6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Nice one KW
unfortunally most people have probs instaling it on MD 8.0, incl me, now back
to figure out what it can be since it wont do as i tell it

Dennis

------------------------------

Subject: Re: ADSL and linux ??
From: Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 29 May 2001 20:26:23 -0400

Kjell Andersson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi every one !
> I'm about to get ADSL service at home does anybody know where i can get
> some info on how set my RedHat 7.1 box up to make it work ?
>
> Best regards Kjell Andersson

See:

http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help, I'm trying to find COM2
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:29:00 +0200

KCmaniac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> nothing for ttyS1, HOWEVER, there is a line that appears towards the end
> of the log about ttyS14??? using IRQ10, which is what the modem has been
> using, and something about a Lucent driver.

And what ARE these lines! They would seem to be crucial to your chances
of running a lucent winmodem, so you shoudl report them.

It sounds to me as though your modem has been set up correctly by the
driver loading, and is now waiting patiently for you on ttyS14.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 07:39:47 GMT

KCmaniac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I did try that.  I set up the files that are supposed to stipulate the modem
> device as ttyS14 but that is actually flagged an error by the program that

Use minicom to confirm that /dev/ttyS14 is where the action is.
Then use that port.

> including, of course, not dialing out but S14 it definently doesn't like.  It

Be precise. What does "ls -l /dev/ttyS14" show you?

> seems to me that the documentation for Debian is very poor when it comes to
> installing and configuring the modem.

No documentation is required for a task as trivial as that! It's a pci
device, so requires no configuration other than what the driver
supplies. Make the ttyS14 if it's not there already. Lucent needs a
special major and minor (as per the lucent docs):

barney:/usr/oboe/ptb% ls -l /dev/ttyS14
crw-rw-rw-   1 root      62,  78 Feb 12  2000 /dev/ttyS14

Yours should look like that. It's the lucent documentation that comes
with the lucent windmodem driver that tells you what to do. Please
read it ... but it strikes me that you could do with a good read of the
Serial-HOWTO.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Arnulf Norkus <0003236521380222513204#[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linus.hardware
Subject: Re: Please help me get my WIN98 back!
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:48:12 +0200

Somphong K schrieb:

> During this Memorial weekend, I installed Redhat 7.1 (Kernel 2.4.2-2)
> on my PC at home. Win98 is on IDE drive/A and Rh7.1 completely on IDE
> drive/B. I did not realize at the time that part of linux, such as /boot
> partition, had to be on drive/A to use LILO.
>
> During graphic installation,I was prompted where to put LILO i.e. in MBR
> or linux drive's boot partition. Unfortunately I decided to avoid fooling
> with MBR and opted for the later.
>
> The lilo installation ended up with failure. Everything else went fine.
> I created boot diskette. I then realized I was no longer able to boot
> Win98. Everybody in my household jumped on me!! My wife wanted to search
> webs about her stock investment, my kid wanted to play starcraft with his
> folks, ....
>
> I hoped to restore MBR by executing 'fdisk /MBR' under MSDOS but I was
> surprised to learn that all my Windows rescue and MSDOS diskettes failed
> to even boot. PC tried to boot from the floppies but hang after reading/
>
> When I mounted on to /dev/hda1, I could see that all Win98 directories
> and files were still intact. I just do not know why drive/A broke when I
> tried my best < which was obviously not good enough :-( > not to disturb
> its MBR.
>
> I would appreciate any advice that can pull me out of this mess.
>
> 1) What corruptions on drive/A and how to restore it??
>
> 2) I configured lilo to boot either linux and win98 but the later never
>    came up - it hang just like when I booted off diskettes.  Could you
>    offer me a copy of /etc/lilo.conf to compare. My copy is at home.
>
> 3) I configured printer OK but not my sound card (Turtle Beach Montogo II
>    and Altec Lansing 495). sndconfig autoprobe concluded it was Altec
>    ADA305 and mentioned it is not supported by Linux yet. I tried without
>    probe but there were only 2 Turtle Beach choices and my Montego II was
>    not ont the list. I tried both and they all ended up in errors.
>
>    Does it mean I'm out of luck as far as sound card is concerned?
>
> 4) Does Linux support HP 6200C scanner?? If affirmative, how?
>
> 5) I have MSN connection which I usually use their 'MSN Internet Access'
>    tool to connect. Could and how I connect to MSN from Linux??
>
> Please asnwer to my e-mail address. Thanks for kind assistance.
>
> Rgds somphong

I had the same problems with various linuxes. Best what helped me was the
following.
First: be sure that your computer is set to boot from floppy at bios.
Next: boot from a bootable (rescue) disk and at the DOS-prompt set "sys c:",
after that maybe "fdisk /mbr" to make sure that mbr on boot-disk is correct.
Tip: set LILO to a disk and start linux from there.
Hope to have helped you
Ulf

------------------------------

From: Alexander Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux PDA
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:40:04 +0200

Hello,

I want to purchase a Linux PDA, but I'm kind of clueless about the model
to purchase. Is there a place, where I can get a complete listing of all
the Linux PDAs and Organizers out there? It must be Linux, because I
don't want to use any Windoze crap again.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings
Alex

------------------------------

From: datasim_sgr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel hda: DMA timeout on installing RadHat 7.1
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:47:15 +0200

Has anyone had problems with installation procedure like this:
hda: DMA timeuot
Recognition of hda: device is ok (hda: ...IBM...), but procedure hangs
on communicating with HD.

???
Please help me, we have to install Oracle 8.

Edmund

------------------------------

From: Corne Beerse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:37:46 +0200

LRW wrote:

> Trying to install RH on my laptop, and it only has 16 MB RAM (eeep) so it
> won't allow FTP install.
> It doesn't have a CD-ROM, so I'm trying to install via NFS from the CD on
> another Linux box on the network.
> It connects to the net fine, but when I put in the other box's IP and NFS
> directory of /mnt/cdrom or /dev/cdrom it says:
> "I could not mount that directory from the server."
> Whycome?

Thinkin error: for nfs, only a local available filesystem can be
exported to be mounted on the remote machine. So first mount the cdrom
localy on a local mountpoint. Then export the mountpoint to the world
for nfsmounts.

If you mount the cdrom on /cdrom and export this /cdrom directory then
if there is a cdrom change, only the local /cdrom  needs to be unmounted
and mounted to make the new cdrom available to the world. There is no
need to alter the export and nfs-mounts.

> I can't find any docs online that address that issue.
> Thanks for any help!

By head from the suse documentation (i did it last month):

On the already running linux box:
Mount the CDROM to the local file system. Say `mount /cdrom` provided it
is configured in your /etc/fstab file.
Now you can access the CDROM on the local machine.
Export the /cdrom directory, check the documentation on `export` (the
command) or /etc/export (the file)

On the new system, you can mount the exported file system. I used the
Suse distribution and yast for installation. That did the mount on this
side for me. See the mount of the nfs filesystem in the documentation.

CB

--
Everything should be as simple as possible but not simpler - A. Einstein
Corne' Beerse                                   | Alcatel Telecom Nederland

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (vinay anand)
Subject: Problem with Network Printer
Date: 30 May 2001 02:12:50 -0700

Hi,

I am new to Linux.

My office uses network printers for all the printing jobs.All the
computers in my office run Windows NT.I have decided to use Linux on
my system.

I want to use the printing facility.

I am stuck up. Someone says to use Samba server.I am not familiar with
the Samba server. Since, i am new to Linux, could someone advive me
how to set up my system for network printer.

Please, give a detailed explanation.

bye
vinay.

------------------------------

From: "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 03:04:45 -0400
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware

In article <jKWQ6.4379$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "twamn"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Take it from a person who has been there before.
>
> Next time unplug ALL drives except the one you want to install to.  I
> went to upgrade my PC to Win2K and overlaid the boot section to my
> existing OS (ouch).  Now every time I install a new OS I only have one
> hard drive plus the CDrom drive connected to the mother board.
>
> I know this is to late for you but hopefully it will help others avoid
> wiping out their main OS while doing a 'simple' dual boot upgrade.

i dont see what the trouble is.  I've never hosed my other OS when
installing Linux.  I've installed lilo on a partition before instead of
the MBR but that didnt mess anything up but the boot record of the
Windows partition and a simple sys c: fixed the problem.

> tom
>
> "Somphong K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9f0sna$a37$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> During this Memorial weekend, I installed Redhat 7.1 (Kernel 2.4.2-2)
>> on my PC at home. Win98 is on IDE drive/A and Rh7.1 completely on IDE
>> drive/B. I did not realize at the time that part of linux, such as
>> /boot partition, had to be on drive/A to use LILO.

driveA in Windows-speak is ur floppy drive

>> During graphic installation,I was prompted where to put LILO i.e. in
>> MBR or linux drive's boot partition. Unfortunately I decided to avoid
>> fooling with MBR and opted for the later.

fooling with it? u tell the installation program u want it there and it
does it for u...what fooling around did u expect to have to do? edit the
hex codes yourself?    REalizing whether u put it on the MBR for the boot
record of the linux drive either way it is put in place w/o you having to
do anything other than make some settings known to LILO so it can boot
linux and your other OSes, etc.

>> The lilo installation ended up with failure. Everything else went
fine

did u know it failed before u rebooted? if so, how? what errors did u
receive?

>> I created boot diskette. I then realized I was no longer able to boot
>> Win98. Everybody in my household jumped on me!! My wife wanted to
>> search webs about her stock investment, my kid wanted to play starcraft
>> with his folks, ....
>>
>> I hoped to restore MBR by executing 'fdisk /MBR' under MSDOS but I was
>> surprised to learn that all my Windows rescue and MSDOS diskettes
>> failed to even boot. PC tried to boot from the floppies but hang after
>> reading/ loading a few blocks.
>>
>> When I mounted on to /dev/hda1, I could see that all Win98 directories

how did u do this if your PC cant boot floppies?  Saying its b/c you
booted Linux instead doesn't fly since the OS has nothing to do with
reading the floppy at boot time.

>> and files were still intact. I just do not know why drive/A broke when

driveA is the floppy

------------------------------

From: John English <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: SCSI problems
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:50:28 +0100

I've just installed Red Hat 7.1 on a machine at work which has an
Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller, to which is attached a Fujitsu M2513A
640M magneto-optical drive. I've also got an HP 7100 IDE CD writer,
which I've got set up for SCSI emulation as per the X-CD-Roast docs.
I have problems with both devices...

1) I can mount a disk in the M-O drive, and I can list the contents
   of the directory. As soon as I try to copy to or from the disk,
   I either get a segmentation fault (following a null pointer) or
   sometimes X freezes such that the mouse doesn't move and I can't
   get out.

2) When I try to write a CD, it writes a few meg and then reports
   a recoverable error. It then loops endlessly reading from the
   drive (dunno why).

Has anyone else got this hardware to work? Can anyone tell me what
the problem is (or what other information I should post here about
it)?

TIA,

 John English              | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.comp.it.bton.ac.uk/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest