Linux-Setup Digest #348, Volume #21               Fri, 1 Jun 01 10:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Problem with Apache and SUSE 7.0 ("syco")
  How do i load an ISO from a CD-ROM? (Anestis)
  Re: How do i load an ISO from a CD-ROM? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 2GB File size limitation ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Cannot startx (David Efflandt)
  Re: Monitor Shutdown Question ("ne...")
  Re: Mandrake 8.0 and Highpoint 370 ATA100(Raid) Ide controller (Paul Jolly)
  Re: DNS lookup fails (David Efflandt)
  Re: partition a 19G hard disk ("Rick")
  Re: Mandrake 8.0 and Highpoint 370 ATA100(Raid) Ide controller ("Peet Grobler")
  Re: help with color and $PS1 (Guillaume)
  Re: RH7.1 & AIC-7896 ("Slash")
  RH7.1 & AIC-7896 ("Slash")
  Re: Installation On a 20GB HArd disk with More than 12Gb for windows ??? does not
seem possible , Help! ("KW")
  Re: Linux, CPU HLT instruction et software cooling ! (Georges Goncalves)
  Re: Linux, CPU HLT instruction et software cooling ! (Georges Goncalves)
  Re: problem with rsh (Sujay Kumar)
  Re: rh7.1 install image: problem update ("Riyaz Mansoor")
  Re: problem with rsh (Dean Thompson)
  Re: Linux, CPU HLT instruction et software cooling ! (Georges Goncalves)
  Re: Dual booting and mp3 sharing (john paul miller)
  Re: partition a 19G hard disk (Dave Berntson)
  Re: KT7A-RAID and Linux (Kahn)

From: "syco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with Apache and SUSE 7.0
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:16:52 +0100

Hi all,
I'm using apache 1.3 and SUSE 7.0
I will use apache as a PROXY, so I uncommented the lines about proxy in
httpd.conf
- apache is OK : a station on my LAN can connect my server. Apache send his
banner to the station.
- my dialer is OK : when I run wvdial on my server, the modem connects my
provider and I can browse the web ( using lynx ).

So,
how have I to do for automatic dialing when apache receives a request from
LAN stations, to the proxy, for the web ?

Thanks for answer.

--
SYCO
de Sycoweb

------------------------------

From: Anestis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do i load an ISO from a CD-ROM?
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 11:30:07 -0000

Hello.
I am willing to install RedHat Linux 7.1, But i have this problem.
I know its stupid. Others told me: "Go to the BIOS setup and set the boot
from CDROM,C,A" . I did that but when i start my computer it sais:
Boot from ATAPI CDROM: None ...

What am idoing wrong?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How do i load an ISO from a CD-ROM?
Date: 1 Jun 2001 11:33:56 GMT

Anestis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Boot from ATAPI CDROM: None ...
> What am idoing wrong?

If the CDRom is bootable you should be able to start the machine
from there, since no "bootable" cdrom is found, I think that you
haven't done the burning in the correct way. Well, use any other
(working) machine or your machine itself to create the boot disk
and use that instead of booting from the CD.

Davide

------------------------------

Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.kernel.general
Subject: Re: 2GB File size limitation
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 01 Jun 2001 08:08:27 -0400

David Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > My advice: just don't. Why do you need big files, anyway?
>
> Well, for one thing, you might want you name server to be authoritative
> for 'com'.

Are you just being theoretical? I'm not sure how big the .com zone file
is; last time I heard, it was a big less than 2GB.

Anyway, I answered your question: upgrade libc, recompile things that
give you trouble, and be prepared for lots of things to break (or at
least fail to work for large files) anyway.

Len.

--
To obtain only high quality shareholders is no cinch.  Mrs.  Astor could
select her 400, but anyone can buy any stock.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Cannot startx
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:20:32 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 17:20:15 +0800, Bob Y L Ngai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> I'm new to Linux.  Actually I did a couple times of installation of
> different version of Linux, but this time, I don't why after installation
> process, I cannot do the startx.  According to my past experience, there
> is nothing extra I need to do for the startx.  But this time, it just
> doesn't work.  I installed Redhat 7.0 as Server on my system.  Another
> possible thing I guess is whether relating to my built-in display card, my
> motherbroad has the built-in display card.  I am not sure.
> Can anybody give me a clue!
> Thanks alot.
>
> Bob

I had that same problem when I installed one of the RedHat or Mandrake
versions.

When you install as a Server, it thinks you just want to use it as a
server (http, ftp, mail, or whatever else you enable), but does not
install X (did it ask if you wanted to configure X during install?).  So
you likely need to install the rpm's for X and whatever you want to use
for a window manager.  Or do an update from the install CD's and do a
Custom install including X.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Monitor Shutdown Question
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 12:28:05 GMT

On May 31, 2001 at 19:14, Butch Hinton eloquently wrote:

>Hi All,
>I recently installed Redhat 7.0 and have a question. What
>file is it that tell the monitor when to shutdown? I want to
>adjust the time as to when the monitor will shut off.
For the console, man setterm. For X it depends on which
X is in use. For X <= 3.3.6 use xset. For X > 4.0 you
need a setting in your /etc/X11/XF86Config[-4] file as
shown below.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "IVM"
        ModelName    "2140"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 110.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
        Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

I believe it is also possible to set the blank, suspend and
off times in here as well. I use kcontrol to set my off time.

I couldn't possibly fail to disagree with you less.
  8:23am  up 2 days, 16:18, 11 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

------------------------------

From: Paul Jolly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 8.0 and Highpoint 370 ATA100(Raid) Ide controller
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:23:15 -0400

Jake Reimann wrote:

> Hi all.
>
>  I have a peecee with a kt7-raid mobo with one of those Highpoint ATA100
>  ide
>   controllers. I have not RAIDED my two IBM hdd's, so I have win ME
> installed
>   succesfuly one one drive.
>
>    I went throught the Mandrake install ok, boot floppy was created ok.
> Linux
>    recognised the Highpoint Controller, and the the disks are oh /dev/hde
> and
>    /dev/hdg
>
>    Lilo went on the MBR.
>
>    When I boot from the MBR, I get an LI     and then nothing, so I
>    thought, AHA, lets get the floppy out.
>
>    Booted from the floppy and it boots , then gets to the point of
>    mounting root , and then dies with a kernel panic - cannot mount root
>    at "220" or
> 2.20
>      Has anybody else had a successful HPT370 installation. I'd like to
>      get
> this
>    baby to gaming box status, I have my tribes2 cd from loki waiting to
>    go, and I'll be a very sad bunny if I have to go back to windows.
>
>    Any ideas ??

I have the same problem, but different setup.

I cannot seem to get GRUB installed correctly. I have an ASUS A7V board,
with onboard ATA100 controllers. Hence, my first HDD is /dev/hde, my second
one is /dev/hdg. On /dev/hde is Windows 98 (this has no problem loading
from GRUB). Linux is on /dev/hdg.

The directory structure on my linux drive is as follows: swap, /boot, /,
/home, where /boot and / are ReiseFS. The problem occurs when I try and
boot Linux. If gets as far as VFS mounting the root partition, but then the
kernel panics with the message: Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs.
I am currently having to boot Linux from floppy disk (not at all good!).

Any ideas?

Paul J
______________________________
web:  http://www.myitcv.org.uk/
home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
uni:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel:  07748 105236

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: DNS lookup fails
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:35:42 +0000 (UTC)

On 31 May 2001 07:22:47 -0700, Lee Merrill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Found one problem, I had put my hostname in the localhost line in the
> /etc/hosts file instead of on a separate line. Now "hostname" shows "leepc,"
> but "host leepc" still fails, I can ping leepc, though.
>
> Lee

If you want to resolve local (private) hostnames or IP's using DNS
methods, you have to be running some sort of nameserver configured with
forward and reverse lookup for your LAN (the 'bind' package or 'named').
Just make sure that you have done any security updates, and/or configure
named to only 'listen-on' loopback and local IP's.  The simplest way to do
this is to install the bind and caching nameserver packages, and then read
the DNS-HOWTO to add your forward and reverse zones.

Programs that use gethostbyname() or gethostbyaddr() will use whatever
methods you set up in /etc/host.conf or /etc/hsswitch.conf (possibly
starting with /etc/hosts).  But 'nslookup' or 'host' specifically use DNS.

From: "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: partition a 19G hard disk
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:32:32 -0400

Hello,  I have had the same problem.  What I did to resolve was to use fips
and shrink down my first partition down to about 4G.  Windoze 98SE was on
that first Partition.  I used the next free space for Linux Swap and Native
partitions.  I did not need to add a 10M partition with /root.   I used the
Disk Druid and Added a "/" with about 4G and then a swap.  Disk Druid was
happy.  K.I.S.S.!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Peet Grobler" <peetgr at absa.co.za>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:52:37 +0200

Where do you place the (grub/lilo) boot? /dev/hde or /dev/hde1?

Paul Jolly wrote in message <9f7u0p$rpp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
Jake Reimann wrote:

> Hi all.
>
>  I have a peecee with a kt7-raid mobo with one of those Highpoint ATA100
>  ide
>   controllers. I have not RAIDED my two IBM hdd's, so I have win ME
> installed
>   succesfuly one one drive.
>
>    I went throught the Mandrake install ok, boot floppy was created ok.
> Linux
>    recognised the Highpoint Controller, and the the disks are oh /dev/hde
> and
>    /dev/hdg
>
>    Lilo went on the MBR.
>
>    When I boot from the MBR, I get an LI     and then nothing, so I
>    thought, AHA, lets get the floppy out.
>
>    Booted from the floppy and it boots , then gets to the point of
>    mounting root , and then dies with a kernel panic - cannot mount root
>    at "220" or
> 2.20
>      Has anybody else had a successful HPT370 installation. I'd like to
>      get
> this
>    baby to gaming box status, I have my tribes2 cd from loki waiting to
>    go, and I'll be a very sad bunny if I have to go back to windows.
>
>    Any ideas ??

I have the same problem, but different setup.

I cannot seem to get GRUB installed correctly. I have an ASUS A7V board,
with onboard ATA100 controllers. Hence, my first HDD is /dev/hde, my second
one is /dev/hdg. On /dev/hde is Windows 98 (this has no problem loading
from GRUB). Linux is on /dev/hdg.

The directory structure on my linux drive is as follows: swap, /boot, /,
/home, where /boot and / are ReiseFS. The problem occurs when I try and
boot Linux. If gets as far as VFS mounting the root partition, but then the
kernel panics with the message: Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs.
I am currently having to boot Linux from floppy disk (not at all good!).

Any ideas?

Paul J
______________________________
web:  http://www.myitcv.org.uk/
home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
uni:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel:  07748 105236

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
From: Guillaume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with color and $PS1
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:59:57 -0400

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, David. E. Goble wrote:
> I tried;
>
> PS1="\n\[\033[1;35m\]IBM 686/pr120+ Linux RedHat 6.2
> \[\033[0;36m\]\$(date)\n\[\u@\h \W]\\$ \[\033[0;37m\]"

Did you tried :

PS1="\n\[\033[1;35m\]IBM 686/pr120+ Linux RedHat 6.2
\[\033[0;36m\]\$(date)\n\[\u@\h \W]\\$ \[\033[0m\]"

G.

------------------------------

From: "Slash" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH7.1 & AIC-7896
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:49:08 +0400

sorry for writing in russian 8)

Hi, All!
looking for aic7xxx.o for AIC-7896 under RH7.1 (2.4.2-2x)
do someone have the same problem?
install fails because of timeouts while searching scsi-devices
(m/b - Intel L440GX+)
any ideas?

------------------------------

From: "Slash" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH7.1 & AIC-7896
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:46:45 +0400

Hi, All!
Думаю траблема из сабжа понятна
Для 6.1, 6.2, 7.0 есть спецзаточенные aic7xxx.o
Знает ли кто имеется ли этот aic7xxx.o для 7.1?
есть патч для ядра 2.4.2-2х, но как при инсталяции обойти запару с
бесконечными таймаутами?
подозреваю что инстал нужно через #linux dd начинать, но вот дривера то я не
нашел под 2.4.2-2х
НАРОД! Поможите! Мот есть у кого соображения

--
Slash

------------------------------

From: "KW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installation On a 20GB HArd disk with More than 12Gb for windows ??? does
not seem possible , Help!
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 08:11:36 -0500

Or you can make a backup of your windows partition, delete all the partitions,
and put linux on the first partition....

------------------------------

From: Georges Goncalves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux, CPU HLT instruction et software cooling !
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 15:11:15 +0200

faeychyld wrote:

> Just an observation here, Linux uses sys logging and cron
> to perform various housekeeping tasks constantly.
>
> I am not sure if the cpu would be halted and started each time these
> functions were accessed. Windows approach is quite different,it will
> sit idle for hours with the drive(s) shut down, so why not the CPU?.

I know that but the machines are Idle between 97.3 and 99.8% of their
time
and especially when I go through my tests :)

--
Georges 'Melkor' Goncalves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Georges Goncalves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 15:14:20 +0200

Tom Brinkman wrote:

>    You need to improve case temp and/or cpu heatsink/fan. Under full
> load (eg, 'cpuburn') your cpu temp shouldn't go over 55C (50 is
> better).  Also the temp is from an external probe.  AMD says to add 10
> to 20C to the probe temp to approximate the actual core temp.  So your
> 55C could really be as high as 75C core temp even if the hs/f is
> properly installed on the die.  AMD4's are finally getting an internal
> diode to monitor core temp. A probe (thermistor), no matter how well
> placed, is just a guess.

I'm planning to so that for the CPU's sake. I'd just like to find a
similar
tool to HMonitor (win) in order to gain some more degrees. My machines
are
very often in Idle state.

>   run 'dmesg' in a term, you should see a line,
>          "Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK."
>   somewhere in the output.  HLT's are a standard kernel function.

It's there, no problem. I've even booted with the kernel option "no-hlt"
and the
overall temp come up to 59/60╟.

From: Sujay Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem with rsh
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 08:54:40 -0400

I modified the xinetd and rebooted the machine.. still it doesn't work.. (rsh
localhost gives connection refused...)
-Sujay

------------------------------

From: "Riyaz Mansoor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rh7.1 install image: problem update
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 23:00:44 +1000

i checked the actual error message by doing an ALT+F4 and this is what i got

<4> hdd: command error: status = 0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
<4> hdd: command error : error = 0x50
<4> end_request: I/O error, dev 16:40 (hdd), sector 1130896

hdd is my cd-rom drive from where i'm installing. i tried it two times and
the first time there were 2 sets of the above, difference only in the sector
number. the second time there were four sets and again the difference were
in the sector number which were completely different from the first try.

the message returned is "error ocuured in copying install image to hard
drive". there is intense cdrom and harddisk activity before the error for
about 3-4 second during the attempted "install image transfer".

can someone tell me what's going on? how i can avert this?

riyaz

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:17:03 +1000

Hi!,

> I modified the xinetd and rebooted the machine.. still it doesn't work..
> (rsh localhost gives connection refused...)

Have you loaded the "rsh" daemons onto your system.  Take a look in your
/var/log/messages file and look for the section on xinetd which was recorded
just after your reboot and see if it says anything in there.

Make sure that there is NO line there saying: disable=yes

From: Georges Goncalves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 15:22:11 +0200

Serban-Mihai Popescu wrote:

> Are you sure you're comparing apples to apples? Maybe lm_sensors is not
> properly tuned and could show wrong numbers.

Both HMonitor and LMSensors are giving the GOOD temperatures. Every temp
sample
I took was (and is) confirmed by the BIOS display report (1╟ max of
variation)

> A better way would be to let the system settle down and, in both Windoze
> and Linux, to quickly reboot and go see what the bios says about the
> temperature. 15*C difference would not go away that fast.

Both Windows and Linux run at an average of 55╟C as HMonitor and
LMSensors report
(confirmed by a quick reboot and a look at the BIOS report). If I
activate the
"CPU Low Power Mode" on HMonitor (win), within 1 minute, the 55╟C
temperature
drops to 37-39╟C (immediately rebooting the machine and checking the
BIOS also
reports this NEW temperature). I'd just like to know what to do on Linux
to obtain
the same result.

From: john paul miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual booting and mp3 sharing
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:33:20 -0500

Yes, I understand Linux will read off the windows partition, but the
reason I want an mp3's only drive is so when I want to reformat and
install windows or linux, the time to reformat that partition of the hard
drive is much less.  i.e. I want my mp3s "isolated" from my programs and
OS's.

------------------------------

From: Dave Berntson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 07:55:26 -0500

Where's your boot partition in this partition scheme?
Dave

------------------------------

From: Kahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KT7A-RAID and Linux
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 14:06:15 GMT

I have RH 7.1 installed on the board with no problems

On Tue, 29 May 2001 18:53:34 +0000 (UTC), [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill
davidsen) wrote:

>  Has anyone tried the Abit KT7A-RAID motherboard with Linux? It appears
>to be a good fit for small server applications, allowing a mirrored boot
>partition in case of failure, and then having lots of IDE channels for
>hardware or software RAID.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest