On 03/31/2014 08:04 PM, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
On 03/31/2014 08:59 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi,

On 03/31/2014 08:49 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi,

On 03/30/2014 02:40 PM, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
On 03/30/2014 02:25 PM, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Sun, 2014-03-30 at 12:26 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
I've just FEL booted with 2014.04-rc2-00665-g96510e1 (i.e. current
u-boot-sunxi.git#sunxi) onto a SATA installation and have started a
git clone of the kernel, after which I'll run a build and see what
happens.

So, I did the git clone, checkout, config and "make all -j4" has been
running for quite a while now (>10 minutes) with no errors. While the
make was running I've messed around with "git archive" to produce a
tar.xz, got bored waiting for that, used wget to download a tar.xz from
kernel.org and unpacked it. All with no errors.

IOW I'm afraid it all looks OK to me.

This is all running from a SATA disk with a 2A power supply.

I'm about to go out for lunch, if it crashes etc while I'm out I'll let
you know after I get back.
Looking forward to the result, but I'm sure it'll be fine ;)

So i changed to the u-boot that comes with fedora 19 from hans, as I did all my
previous work with that, and untarring of the extracted tarball works now.

I have to make a deadline for my book (building the BSP, hence i bumped into
this) and will do more compile/extraction tests in the next few days as time
permits on hans's u-boot. I'll run some of ssvb's benchmarks to test various
things.

If this is all deemed stable; then it can only be u-boot that somehow broke.
The only thing I can imagine is tolerances or power usage somehow. Speaking of,
during the extraction power jumped from just under 0.5 amps @ 4.85V = idle; to
about 0.85 amps @ 4.75V.

Hmm, this might be caused by the FAST_MBUS stuff we've for A20 now a days.

You could try removing FAST_MBUS from the boards.cfg config options for
the cubietruck, and see how a recent u-boot build that way works.

Oh and another thing to test is to try replacing your powersupply,
if is dropping that far below 5V then likely it is also outputting quite
a bit of noise and spikes on the powerline. Your battery won't help you
there since the power likely is not far enough below 5V to make it switch,
so the board keeps using the bad powersupply taking in all the noise and
power spikes.
While sensible, I doubt it, it's a high-end samsung charger; I could
hook it up to my oscope and see how noise the line is.

But the FAST_MBUS thing, yes I will tripple check that.

A small update however, I ran a unpack, compile, rm -rf run and while it
only managed to complete 37 loops in 24 hours, it completed them
appearantly error free (I didn't check the entire log, just the last
entry). So this u-boot runs fine and is stable. I will do the loop again
(with less itterations) using fast-less u-boot.
So far so good, it has run through a few loops which seem to work fine. So the Fast MBUS may not always work too well on all boards ...

I'll let it run a bit longer, I'll get back to this tomorrow ...

Olliver

Olliver

Regards,

Hans