On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 03:33:52PM -0700, bruce bushby wrote:

> Hi Maxime
>
> Nope... didn't think about damaging the board..... I have absolutely no
> idea what I'm doing :) ...it's just a hobby and I figured the only way to
> learn is to try.....you really don't want to watch me connecting the
> breadboard LOL
>
> I try and avoid constantly asking junior questions so tend to exhaust all
> sense before asking for help....progress is slow but I'm learning. Know any
> good books that explain how to write dts files?

First thing first. Start with u-boot, then the kernel, then
buildroot. You're doing too much at once.

For u-boot, you can follow http://linux-sunxi.org/New_Device_howto

Once you've done that, you can try to look into this talk for example
and write your own dts:

https://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/petazzoni-device-tree-dummies.pdf

Buildroot should then be a piece of cake.

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com