On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 10:11:10AM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09-01-15 09:51, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> >On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 09:36:28AM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> >>Hi,

> >><snip>

> >>Version D ? I more or less completely missed that, care to explain ?
> >>
> >>I guess this is going to impact u-boot too ?
> >
> >I don't think it will, or at least, not for this issue.
> >
> > From what we saw in the Allwinner BSPs, the A31 rev D might need
> >different operating points for cpufreq.
>
> Ah, what about the max-speed operating point ? That is being set by
> u-boot early on, specifically for sun6i / sun8i it sets VDD-CPU to 1.2V
> and the CPU-clock to 1008MHz.

Based on the two samples here:
https://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-boards/blob/master/sys_config/a31/hummingbird_a31.fex#L919
and here:
https://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-boards/blob/master/sys_config/a31/mele_i7.fex#L1436

The voltage always seem lower for each OPP. So I guess if you use the
voltages from the pre-rev-D OPPs, you'd be fine.

> >It's not really an issue per-se, but supporting both pre-rev-D and
> >post-rev-D will need to have a bit of thoughts.
>
> Hmm, tricky. What if we add a second, soc-specific, compatible to the
> cpu nodes which contains the cpu-revision, and then have 2 nodes
> for each cpu, with either one (or both) with status = "disabled"; and
> then on early board init detect the revision and enable the right cpu
> nodes ?

I was more thinking to feed the OPPs directly from the code in
mach-sunxi if we detect a rev-D. I don't really know what would be the
side effects of playing with the CPU nodes like that.

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com