On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 1:06 AM, ke...@allwinnertech.com
<ke...@allwinnertech.com> wrote:
> Hi, Luc,
>
> Allwinner is trying to fix the GPL issue taken on Cedarx.
> We have release the latest version of cedarx with LGPL. And just close the
> code of Video Engine hardware, the framework and API is opensource.
> We will review the code again, to fix the GPL issues still existed. We are
> trying to do better, if you found any GPL issue, please let us know, we will
> fix it and update it ASAP.
>
> About the kernel GPL issue, we are fixing it now, we will update the code to
> open some drivers.

Kevin, there are advantages to being open source. For example my
company tried using the A20 for a product two years ago. We spent a
lot of effort developing it and never could get the video compression
working the way we needed it to work. I sent several bugs into
Allwinner which got fixed, but the fixes came back about eight months
after I had sent the problems in. That was far too late to save our
project.

Since we couldn't get the A20 version of the product going we finally
gave up and switched to a different CPU vendor.  All of this messing
around probably cost us $250,000. Plus we are paying more for the new
CPU. But the new one works correctly, which is the most important
point.

If I had the source to the compression code I probably could have
fixed it myself and sent out a patch. Or maybe I could have inserted
debug printouts and narrowed the problem down to a very specific bug
report which would have made it easy for you to fix. Instead I was
just stuck using a black box which didn't always do the right thing
and I had no ability to fix. We finally gave up and switched CPUs.

Being open source allows other people to help you improve the code.
There are a lot of highly skilled programmers working on Linux. When
shipping their products is dependent on getting Allwinner code fixed,
they will go in and fix bugs if they have the source code. They will
also send you these fixes since they want them incorporated into the
official releases.

----

On another topic - kernel drivers. Closed source, out of tree kernel
drivers are a security nightmare.

Consider what happens when a security bug is found in the Linux
kernel. The bug is disclosed and a fix is issued. For vendors on
mainline they can quickly incorporate these patches and send our
dynamic updates out to their products.

But what about closed drivers? It is easy to crack into old kernels.
The instructions on how to do it are included in the security
vulnerability disclosure.  Closed drivers prevent me from applying
these security patches and moving onto a newer kernel. Instead I have
to wait until Allwinner decides to update their kernels - which may be
years.

This attack method is used a lot in the wild. It is how the first
attack against Sony was done (not the current one). They were running
three year old kernels on their servers. Somebody just looked up the
vulnerabilities that had been fixed and used one to walk right into
their corporate network.

This is a not a good thing for someone like Allwinner who is making
security camera chips now.

Jon Smirl
jonsm...@gmail.com