On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 01:38:30PM +0000, Manuel Braga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That was a joke mail, in response to the joke that allwinner gave us
> when allwinner added the LGPL license to source code that includes a
> binary accused of being in noncompliance.

This was not a joke email. Its contents was very serious, and it should
be interpreted as such. Allwinner needs/needed to know what it had just
done, and that it has to fullfill its obligations.

The fact that I did so, _after_ the facts had been often and openly
discussed, and after allwinner had been explained their obligations
countless times, does make it less than serious.

The contents however is nothing to be laughed about.

> > try to get the support of something like the SFC so that they can
> > evaluate the merits of pursuing.
> > And then the SFC would do the talking.
>
> I heared (but don't have the details), and this looks to be true. SFC
> or someone from SFC is aware of this issue. But maybe others can make
> this more clear.
>
> But nobody is here to sue, (why do i have to keep saying this)
> i think  i can speak for all and say that we want to resolve this in a
> friendly way, but for that, there most be dialog between parties.
> Not excuse to ignore the issues.
>
> And Simos look at the news, with SFC and vmware, look at the time it
> took and no result.

People tried talking to VMWare for 7-8 years. We have been trying to
talk to Allwinner at least since 2012 (i am sure that LKCL would be
happy to divulge his conversations with allwinner if it comes to legal
action). Allwinners case is pretty open and shut, especially since they
actively use both the kernel and uboot, and the symbols in cedar are
clearly visible. And unlike VMWare Allwinner has its _whole_ business to
lose.

When there is any legal action, it could be a lot swifter. Perhaps
Allwinner should act quickly and do so in an all encompassing way. If
not, it stands to lose quite a lot.

Luc Verhaegen.