On 2015-05-05 at 21:21, jonsm...@gmail.com <jonsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 12:00 AM, kevin.z.m...@gmail.com
><kevin.z.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2015-04-29 at 21:20, jonsm...@gmail.com <jonsm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>The bitrate setting on an h.264 encoder is supposed to take precedence
>>>and be a hard limit. So if I set 500Kb/sec the encoder has to adjust
>>>everything else until it can hit and hold that limit. Min/MaxQp should
>>>not overrule the Bitrate limit. I believe the only exception to that
>>>is for VBR where you are allowed to exceed the bandwidth limit by 10%
>>>for short periods of time. The encoder is also supposed to be smart on
>>>how it adjusts itself when the bandwidth limit is set.
>>>
>>>These limits are there for streaming video. I needed to set a 500Kb/s
>>>hard limit because I only had 500Kb/s of streaming capacity available.
>>>I couldn't figure out how to keep the Allwinner encoder at a 500Kb/s
>>>limit, it would stay at 500Kb/s for a while but then if there was
>>>rapid motion it would jump to 2Mb/s. It should not matter if CBR or
>>>VBR is set, the limit should still be enforced. Of course when it
>>>jumped to 2Mb/s on my 500Kb/s pipe, the stream dropped.
>>>
>> Nowadays, the limits of streaming video can't be controlled accurately
>> with every frame, but an average in a period. On the A20 platform, it
>> can't reach 500kb/s with 720p@30fps, the lowest value should be 1.5Mb/s.
>
>That was an important bit of information that should have been in the
>datasheet. It would have saved me a huge amount of time messing with
>the A20 if I had known 500Kb was never going to be possible.
>

>>>Check out the the software x86 h.264 implementations - they will
>>>output exactly 500Kb/s when told to. You can watch the picture become
>>>very clear when the scene is still and then go grainy when there is
>>>rapid motion.
>>>
>>>Also - I had severe problems with noise on A20 cameras. That noise is
>>>random from frame to frame. Encoding that noise wastes all of my
>>>500Kb/s bandwidth which makes the image quality terrible. Typical
>>>some type of ISP is used to remove this noise before h.264 encoding.
>>>
>> There may be 3 main factors causing noise, they are lens, Sensor and
>> ISP. A20 has none local ISP, selecting an external ISP may reduce the
>> noise. Besides ISP, the lens and Sensor is important too, and the NT99141
>> is recommended.
>>
>>>Does the Allwinner V3 support external I2S? I'd just look in the
>>>datasheet, but it is too much hassle to get it.
>> Yes, V3 can support external IIS.
>> We will make the documents for v3 ready as soon as possible.
>
>Can the V3 hit 500Kb/s for h.264?
For static scenes with little noise, V3 and A83T can reach 500kbps for
720p@30pfs or 1080p@15fps.

>Currently we are using the Grain Media GM8138S. It is very nice with
>the 128MB of DRAM in the same package. We also looked at the
>Highsilicon Hi3518e but it gets way too hot. We use GM8138S with
>2-channel I2S.
>
>What we really need is:
>1) 8-channel I2S
V3 can support 8 channel I2S with one data wire.

>2) Camera that can do low noise, 720P or 1080P video at 500Kb/s (security
>video)
Take reference from the above.

>3) Runs Android
Because V3 has no GPU, it's difficult to run a complete Android.

>4) The unit is headless so no display
>5) OpenCL on the GPU would be a bonus.
V3 has no GPU module, can't support OpenCL.

kevin.z.m...@gmail.com