On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 3:01 AM, Marius Cirsta <mfor...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Indeed , my guess is that info will be available soon on this R8 but I
> guess these guys spilled the beans early. I also do wonder if it will still
> have the Mali400.
>
> As for the board itself , let's see if they deliver and how they'll
> cooperate with linux-sunxi. If it is indeed a sham than there will be a lot
> of pissed people.

I think they had to give details about the SoC since they are doing the
campaign on Kickstarter.
It looks like their campaign will surpass $1m and there will be a lot of
interest to get things done.

Tsvetan mentioned in a prior blog post that Allwinner was OK to make a
batch of at least 50K A10 SoCs, if requested (
https://olimex.wordpress.com/2015/04/07/how-50-000-a10-socs-from-allwinner-looks-like/).
The C.H.I.P. campaign so far has pledges for about 23K R8 SoCs and it is
bound to go much higher than that.

Whether the R8 will be available outside the C.H.I.P. campaign, remains to
be seen. With the RPi, it appears there was no exclusivity with Broadcom on
paper but the RPi Foundation might have requested anyway from Broadcom not
to sell the SoC to Hardkernel (
http://slated.org/the_curious_case_of_raspberry_pi_consumerism).
It does not look like the campaigners for C.H.I.P. are the types to request
exclusivity for the R8. For example, see their website at
http://nextthing.co

The "KERNEL HACKERS ONLY" pledge was already taken by 606 backers (est
delivery: Sept 2015). Most probably these people will be joining this list
to get mainline support for the device.
Again, checking the campaigner's website at http://nextthing.co/ shows that
they do not even have yet a forum or mailing list for their existing
products.

I think it is up to actions happening here, whether the whole thing will be
beneficial to the linux-sunxi community.
Personally, I am inclined to contact them.

Simos