Hi,

It's been a month since Allwinners big "open source" release, where they
tried to shut up the big (and very justified) GPL violations noise by
releasing some code which moves decoder codecs into modules, and by
releasing some codecs as open source as well. As i predicted then,
Allwinner now has taken the next step:

They produced a binary for the decoder, which is loaded in:
https://github.com/allwinner-zh/media-codec/blob/72f2b8537/sunxi-cedarx/SOURCE/vencoder/venc_device.c

Note the "Proprietary" license notice on top of this and other new
files.

Even if we ignore the past, all of this is built together with LGPLed
code, and the binary is being dlopened into this LGPLed code. Quite
illegally so.

This is further deliberate avoidance of responsibility by Allwinner. One
can only assume that Allwinner is incorrigible at this point. They have
been told time and time again what is wrong and they have time and time
again been given possible ways out, in great detail. All we get though,
is microsteps to take off the heat, followed by further deliberate
breaking/bending of the rules.

This also sheds a further shadow on the C.H.I.P. project. Clearly the
Next Thing Co. guys were very gullible when they went into business with
Allwinner (and believed the statements made by allwinner). Later during
the run of the kickstarter campaign, after all the noise had been made
on the internet about GPL Violations, Next Thing Co. loudly claimed that
they are working the Free Electrons and that all promises of open
sourceness and such would be kept (all?). While this move in itself was
very laudable, it did underline the fact that Next Thing Co. had not
done its homework beforehand. Now Allwinner does this, which clearly
goes in against everything the Next Thing Co. people have promised us so
far...

Allwinner has some explaining to do (as does Next Thing Co, to a lesser
extent).

Luc Verhaegen.