On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 02:19:00AM +0200, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> tor 2015-06-25 klockan 12:13 +0200 skrev Luc Verhaegen:
> > The bad copyright headers is just stupidity. The direct loading of
> > non-LGPLed binaries into LGPLed code is very deliberate.
>
> And to my best understanding is not in any way a violation of the LGPL
> license. Care to explain what I am missing? (ignoring any past state of
> these files)
>
> If the code had been GPL licensed then sure. But this is LGPL with it's
> implicit linking exception.

Yes, you are right. I always assumed that LGPL only worked upwards, but
after a very thorough read there is nothing in the license that clearly
defines this.

It does however seriously push the boundary of derivative work, not only
because it is being loaded into the LGPLed library and does not work
standalone or with other software, but more importantly because this .so
does not function without LGPLed infrastructure provided in the top
level software. The line becomes very blurry here, and whether this is
derivative work or not will probably differ upon which lawyer you ask.

What is clear however is that Allwinner can no longer feign innocence,
lack of information, lack of knowledge, lack of understanding or just
plaing old stupidity. It clearly is very much aware of what its legal
obligations are, and is very actively feeling for where those boundaries
truly lie, and where the lines of the LGPL license become blurry.

Allwinner is trying to get away with the maximum of what it thinks it
can get away with, and nothing has changed. Allwinner has not learned a
single thing, and still is actively hostile towards free software, and
has no real intention of proactively working with the linux sunxi
community and its customers. While we all knew that to be true, this
action is solid proof to that end.

It is time to extend the negative marketing campaign to some of
Allwinners customers, and truly hit Allwinner where it hurts.

Luc Verhaegen.