On 2002.04.19 18:57:23 +0200 Munaut Sylvain wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm new to the USB world, and to this ml so ...
>
> I've a webcam based on the NW812 chip which is  not supported under
> linux. And i'd like to write a driver for it. But the firm that sell
> this chip don't want to release technical spec about this chip ... So
> I'd like to "guess" it's protocol ...

Don't forget to put a warning with the driver that users shouldn't buy
cameras with this chipset because the vendor is an idiot :)

> My first question is : Are all usb webcam using about the same protocol
> ( i mean is there a lot of similarities between protocols or are they
> all completel different ? )

Most cameras use a yuv derivative although there are also cameras using the
bayer format.
If the camera is a low cost one the compression might not be very though,
but most compression formats aren't easy to find out. But most webcams also
have a noncompressed mode (often used for still images or snapshots) that
might be easier to start with.

> And the second one : I suppose some people have already done this  (
> guessing protocols ). Do you have some tip on how to do ?

It isn't easy... but try snooping on while showing some familiar patterns:
all white image (directed at lightbulb), all-black image (bit harder due to
noise), half black half white (might show linelength), alternating pattern,
different collors (might give you a clue about the colorspace used (yuv vs
rgb) and so on.

> I use a USB spy program under win32 to listen to the USB port while i'm
> using the web cam. Do you knwo better spy program than "usb snoop" ?

Jeroen