On Thu, May 16, 2002, David Brownell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > So I finally hunkered down and got uhci-hcd working. I was surprised how
> > easy it was to make the modifications for hcd.c.
>
> Great!  I'll have a look at that one too ... gotta upgrade a bunch of
> systems first though.  Maybe I'll be able to test with 2.5.16 ... :)

Excellent, the more testing the better.

> > There are some other messages that get printed such as:
> >
> > hcd.c: usb_hcd_pci_remove 00:10.0, count != 1
> >
> > but it appears from the code that this is just a soft warning that all
> > of the references to the bus aren't freed yet. This isn't a bug.
>
> It's an err(), as noted in the documentation for that method, so I'd
> look at that a bit more.  It means your driver could be rmmodded
> but something (who knows what?) hasn't dropped all references
> to that device.  Minimally, you've got a memory leak.  Worst case,
> you've got some device driver thinking it can call into a device on
> that bus ... oops!

Oh boy, not another reference counting discussion. Look at the code.

With your recent patch to move deallocate() and usb_put_bus(),
thankfully there is no problem with a device driver doing any operations
on that device.

rmmod'ing uhci-hcd is still safe, FWIW. And that's not necessarily a
memory leak.

I won't guarantee that there are no leaks since the code hasn't received
extensive testing yet, but I think you're misunderstanding this
particular scenario.

JE