>> It is not clear to me why these CF and SM drivers should
>> replace sg buffers by a single big contiguous buffer.

> No, they should not be using a single big buffer.  They
> should use the scatter-gather list that was given to them by the midlayer.

Good. I hoped you would say that. That again removes a lot of code.

[Greg, no reason not to apply the previous patch - the next one
will just remove some more code.]

Matt, you asked for a diff -b. But can't you make that yourself?
(Apply the patch to some tree, and say diff -r -u -b or so.)
But if you are short on disk space, I'll send one.

Matt, concerning the s/10/3/ - if that really worries you
I'll do s/3/10/ again.

[Personally I think that anybody who writes a driver and lets
it retry ten times is a bad programmer. Retrying is almost always
the wrong thing to do. In this particular case it also happened
to crash the kernel. But of course the USB code will improve,
and some day it will no longer crash the kernel. That day I will
still think that retrying ten times is a bug.]

Andries