Hi

Unfortunaltely, I had a couple of problems with ehci on usb-storage since
my last report. I've applied ehci-hcd micro-patch from David. I use
2.4.21-rc8-ac1 (basicaly equivalent to 2.4.21-ac1 + ehci-hcd micro patch USB
wise).

Also there was a patch from David with the subject line:
"[patch 2.5.70] ehci, fix qh re-activation problem"
Does this problem exist in some form in 2.4?

The problems:

1.
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

You probably know what happens when you get this on usb-storage, but anyway:

I was running cdrecord/mkisofs to record some files from vfat disk on USB
2.0 to ide cd-r device. I was playing some mp3s from that disk too.
cdrecord stopped, xmms stopped, and kernel panicked in vfat kernel module
with a lot of I/O errors.

I had to umount the disk, rmmod/insmod usb-storage to make it work again.

2.
One time, it happened immediately after powering the disk on, without
me even mounting it:

hub.c: new USB device 00:09.2-1, assigned address 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x5e3/0x702) is not claimed by any active driver.
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
last message repeated 2 times
scsi: device set offline - command error recover failed: host 1 channel 0 id 0 lun 0

After I reconnected the disk and rmmod/insmod usb-storage, it worked fine.

3.
I've noticed that usb-storage doesn't remove the disk from /proc/scsi/scsi
(the representation of kernel scsi device list)
when the device is disconnected. Because of that, I cannot connect a
different hard disk to usb, without rmmod/insmod usb-storage first, and that can
be impossible when I have another device on usb-storage that I don't want to
stop using. Can this be fixed for 2.4?

4.

About possible performance improvement on 2.5 ehci/usb-storage:
I've tested with 2.5.71, and I don't see a significant improvement over 2.4.
(Both are arround 7.7 MB/s for read, 10 MB/s for write). Disk can do arround
40 MB/s reads on IDE.

Thanks
Vedran