On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Rogério Brito wrote:

> Hi, Alan. Thank you for your patch.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems that the patch still doesn't work. Just as you
> know what I did, I uninstalled the hotplug scripts, booted into single
> user mode, loaded the module uhci-hcd, issued the command
> "echo 4 > /proc/driver/uhci/..." for each controller in that directory
> and plugged the drive (without having usb-storage loaded).
>
> No device appeared under /proc/bus/usb and if I load usb-storage
> afterwards, it hangs there indefinitely, without succeding. :-(
>
> I put new dmesgs at http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/usb-new/, if you are
> interested in seeing how things went this time.

They look just the same as before.

I'm stumped.  The fact that sometimes it works suggests that it's a
hardware incompatibility of some sort, like insufficient electrical power
on the bus.  (Or maybe a malfunctioning USB host controller.)  So does the
fact that it works with one computer but not another.  However, I can't
think of much else to try.

Did you say that it works under Windows?  And if so, which version of
Windows are you using?