Per chapter 6, device may not stall Out pipe unless some packet of H was stalled, except to report a phase error.
No?
(As yet, I'm cheating, I haven't recalled the spec to appear before me ...)

Awww nuts I may be going offline now too long for me to happily leave this chit chat paused here.

Ok.  I've found a local copy of usbmassbulk_10.pdf

There I see:

6.7.3.2.b.i.1 says "The device shall either accept a total of dCBWDataTransferLength, or end the transfer prematurely by STALLing the Bulk-Out pipe."

Is that English not clear?

I think that English is supposed to mean, the device shall not STALL the OUT pipe after the last ACK of OUT, given a CBW that says Ho. By "last ACK" of course we mean the ACK of the ((Ho+maxPacket - 1) / maxPacket)'th packet.

Reading the rest of 6.7.3 tells me that also the device shall not STALL the OUT pipe even to report a phase error. When I was speaking wrongly before, I was confusing the always-allowed STALL of IN to report phase error with a STALL of OUT, sorry.

Certainly I agree that a STALL of OUT after the last ACK will appear to the host as a STALL of CBW. That will look to the host as if the device saw the CBW as not "valid" or not "meaningful", and life will go downhill from there.

a flaw in the Bulk-only protocol

(: Mmmm, show me. :)

Meanwhile I will here now renew my solicitation of volunteers to help write a rationale for that .pdf that would make that .pdf less difficult to read accurately, and I thank you again for including me in this interesting thread.

*"Pat LaVarre" = x50 BBB