> Hi,
>
> I have to write a custom driver for a FX2 based camera module that
> should be able to reach a bulk throughput of about 30 MBytes/sec from
> the device to user space memory. The available CPU performance is less
> than a 1GHz VIA EDEN. Is the libusb capable to provide this performance?

Yes.  With a bit of help.  The biggest issue is generally usb host
controllers.

We built an FX2 based software radio peripheral and we routinely
sustain 32MB/sec in either direction.  CPU consumption is minimal --
on the order of 5% of a 1.4 GHz Pentium M.  We did it all in user
space using libusb, with an added layer on top that does "fast usb" by
keeping multiple URBs in flight using usbdevice_fs.

You can find all the code including the firmware and the fast usb
library (fusb*.{h,cc}) at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnuradio/usrp-0.5.tar.gz

More info on the device at
http://comsec.com/wiki?UniversalSoftwareRadioPeripheral

Eric