Well, let's start with the obvious:  Remove the line of code you mention,
and instead do:
        snprintf(onetouch->name, 128, "Maxtor Test String");

If that doesn't fix the problem, then it's not the culprit and you need to
keep looking.

If that is the problem, then my guess is more that this is a udev-related
issue than anything else, as the two strings you're sourcing data from are
coming from udev.

I would be interested in seeing what your debug printouts show at detach
time, to see if you're really disconnecting the device properly.  That plus
the USB Storage debugging should be telling.

Matt