Please see comments in text:

Alan Stern wrote:

>> You mean via usbfs?

Using calls ioctl(fd, USBDEVFS_CONTROL, &ctrl)

the file descriptor was found in /proc/bus/usb searching on PID and VID
rather than using the driver.

>>>from VMware and of course my ctrl transfer fails but that one attempt is

>> Does it make any difference if you use an IN transfer in your script
(like
>> VMware did) rather than an OUT transfer?

None at all - using the in (correctly formatting the call) results in
identical output to the VMWARE call and the driver starts working.

Jul  8 08:35:08 bluelinux kernel: usb 1-1: usbdev_ioctl: CONTROL
Jul  8 08:35:08 bluelinux kernel: usb 1-1: control read: bRequest=06
bRrequestType=80 wValue=0300 wIndex=0000
Jul  8 08:35:08 bluelinux kernel: usb 1-1: control read: data 04 03 09 04

>> Why do you think doing this from a script should be any different from
>> doing it during your driver's probe routine?  The only difference I can
>> think of is timing.  Does it help if you add a few seconds delay to your
>> probe before sending that control request?  Or afterward, but before you
>> begin submitting the ISO transfers?

Good question - I put up to 10 seconds msleep both before and after the
ctrl transfer and this made no difference.

>> All these tests were done using the EHCI driver, right?  Does anything
>> change if you rmmod ehci-hcd and run at full speed instead of high speed?

No Change packets are still returned with -84 and after running my
script everything works fine.

>> If you get the equivalent functionality to work from your driver then
you
>> won't need the script.

Agreed.

>> The two possibilities seem to be that something gets changed in the EHCI
>> driver or that something gets changed in the device's internal state.

>> I think you said earlier that SuSE 9.3 would work with 2.6.10 and not
with
>> 2.6.11.  Is that correct?  And yet the driver does work with Debian and
>> 2.6.11.  Were these kernels modified by the distributions or did they
come
>> directly from kernel.org?

2.6.10 and 2.6.12 were clean kernels from kernel.org. 2.6.10 worked
2.6.12 did not.

The debian 2.6.11 is from the knoppix 2.8.2 distro. I beleve this is
fairly untouched.