On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 10:45:37AM -0700, Timothy Thelin wrote:

> I was curious about the reasoning behind this decision and how to fix an
> issue that came up because of it.

The reasoning goes something like this:  There are lots of devices which
report 0, but need the SCSI-II 10-byte commands to work.

> I have some time to help in solving the above.  But what do people think the
> solution should be?
>
> Here are some ideas floating in my head:
> 1) Promote the scsi0 device to scsi3 (instead of scsi2) since it most likely
> follows scsi3 forms of commands that it happens to support

That's not going to fly.  Lots of devices report 0 and follow 2, not 3.
SCSI 3 triggers new and exciting behavior from SCSI core.

> 2) Leave the scsi0 device as scsi0, and make sure the scsi stack is aware of
> scsi0 devices (i.e. don't stick LUN info into cdb[ 1 ] )

That will break all the devices which report 0 but need 10-bit commands ala
SCSI-II.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I need a computer?
                                        -- Customer
User Friendly, 2/19/1998