I have been using my USB2 devices with Linux for some time now, but
recently have started having troubles with them.

Beginning with Linux 2.6.10, my 1GB USB drive sometimes required more
than one attempt before it would connect.  In other words, I often had
to remove it and reinsert it in its port before the kernel would see it.

I also have an Apple iPod and it was better, but still occasionally
would not connect on the first attempt.

With each new release of Linux kernels, the problem got worse until with
2.6.13 I can't get any of my 480Mbps devices to work with Linux.

I just installed 2.6.14 and I see the same problems.

Either the device never registers at all, or the kernel sees it but
fails with an error -71.

In all cases, even when the kernel makes no syslog entry at all,
/proc/interupts show that interrupts were received upon each device plug
and unplug.

When I do see syslog messages, they look like this:

Nov  2 20:51:38 daydream kernel: usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
Nov  2 20:51:38 daydream last message repeated 3 times
Nov  2 20:51:39 daydream kernel: usb 1-8: device not accepting address 14,
error -71
Nov  2 20:51:39 daydream kernel: usb 1-8: device not accepting address 15,
error -71

% cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:    2202121    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:      10725    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
  9:          0   IO-APIC-level  acpi
 12:       7351    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
 14:         12    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 15:         41    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
169:       1363   IO-APIC-level  libata
177:      32235   IO-APIC-level  sym53c8xx
185:      15841   IO-APIC-level  skge, ndiswrapper
193:        122   IO-APIC-level  ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb3,
uhci_hcd:usb4, uhci_hcd:usb5
201:          0   IO-APIC-level  EMU10K1
209:      80890   IO-APIC-level  nvidia
NMI:          0
LOC:    2202372
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

I have a question about what the line for USB controllers mean. I see
one listing for EHCI, and 4 for UHCI. What do those entries refer to? I
have 8 ports, so that doesn't seem right, and all of them are routed to
the EHCI or UHCI controller depending on the device plugged in.

In /dev I see 5 USB major devices, and also in /proc/bus/usb.  Why don't
I see eight?

Or, are those my hubs that are showing up? I have 1 single port hub and
one five port hub, both of which are USB1. I have always plugging my
USB2 devices directly into the computer because I've never bought a USB2
external hub.

The devices work fine if I plug them into an old USB1 hub, automatically
downgrading to 12Mbps.

All of my USB2 devices function perfectly at hispeed under FreeBSD,
NetBSD, and Windows, and on older Linux kernel releases.

My system information:

    - Asus K8V-X motherboard, AMD64 with VIA K8T800 Pro chipset
    - BIOS configured for 8 USB1 and USB2 ports with automatic switching
      (same setup through all OS and Linux kernel releases)
    - Linux kernel 2.6.14, custom kernel, .config here:
        http://www.widomaker.com/~shannon/kernelconfig.txt

I have ACPI configured, and have also tried turning it off: same
problem. Since ACPI worked before and with other OS, that's not
surprising. I also tried disabling various other drivers in case they
were interfering, but no joy.

Right now I have the time to spend debugging this, so if someone things
they can help or has ideas, let me know what I can do to try and figure
out the problem.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["That which is overdesigned, too highly
specific, anticipates outcome; the anticipation of outcome garantees, if