On Wednesday November 16, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 64 bytes is probably best.  You don't lose any FSBR performance, because
> FSBR isn't turned off immediately when an URB completes.

Ok, I'll get some new clean traces, but probably not until some time
next week.

> That's what I'd like to understand.  Even with FSBR on all the time, it
> still takes more than 1000 ms to transfer 128 packets (i.e., 8192
> bytes)?  Do the packets get sent in fixed-size clumps, or is it more
> random?

With 64byte writes, there is usually a 112msec delay, sometimes none,
sometimes double.  See other email.
With 8192byte writes, I cannot watch the individual packets, but each
8k urb suffers from 1 to several 112msec delays, which suggests there
is clumping within a small window ever 112msecs.

> If the printer was at all sane, it wouldn't take more than 300 ms to
> transfer that much data even with FSBR permanently off!

I think we can agree the printer is not sane.  If it wasn't that I
have found other reports of UHCI problems with this printer, I would
assume my particular printer had a defect and return it to HP.  Maybe
I will anyway.

> >  But I'm happy to redo some tests to be able to give
> > you clear before/after results.  It'll probably have to wait a week or
> > so, as I've spent more time on this that I really should have lately.
>
> It might be more interesting to find out how the printer manages to work
> more quickly under Windows (assuming it does, of course).  If you want to
> spend the time, you could try tracing some of that communication.

I won't be doing this in the near future, but I am curious, and may
give it a try in a few weeks.

Thanks,
NeilBrown