On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Jiri Kosina wrote:

> > > No, they do not.
> > > Will do and report back.
> > Any results yet?
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> a few days ago I have received message from Florian off-list, where he
> provided me the following: (I have also CCed it to linux-usb-devel, as can
> be seen on [1]):
>
> == cut here ==
> I have recompiled the kernel with DEBUG defined to 1 in hid-core.c but
> I have't got anything except that the keyboard was disconnected then
> reattached:
>
>   [ 3583.910202] usb 1-3: USB disconnect, address 3
>   [ 3583.910208] usb 1-3.2: USB disconnect, address 5
>   [17524.627801] usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
> address 6>
>   [17524.688175] usb 1-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>   [17524.688243] hub 1-3:1.0: USB hub found

Is this hub built into the keyboard?  It's rather unusual for a keyboard
device to have a built-in high-speed hub (since keyboards run at low
speed), but it's not impossible.

>   [17524.688283] hub 1-3:1.0: 4 ports detected
>   [17524.833265] usb 1-3.2: new low speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
> address 7
>   [17524.885024] usb 1-3.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> == cut here ==
>
> I first thought whether this is not a HID-layer issue, but this kind of
> convinced me that the problem is USB-related.
>
> I am trying to reproduce it here, but so far with no luck.
>
> [1]
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg49484.html

I also wrote to Florin back in December, suggesting he turn on
CONFIG_USB_DEBUG to get more information.  It also would help to have a
usbmon log.

The fact that the disconnect message appears doesn't mean the problem is
related to the kernel's USB stack; it could be a hardware problem.  It's
also possible that the problem has nothing to do with NFS usage.

Without more information from Florin we can't tell anything about what's
really happening.