> So does this really point to broken hw or a broken patch? Where can I get
> that
> patch as standalone? So I could revert it in rc6 and test...

ftp://ftp.de.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/usb/2.6/2.6.19

The patch might just make visible a hardware problem.

[..]
> It is the empty hub. Remember the scanner is 2-2, which brings me to my next
> question: Why does the kernel poke the hub, when I want to communicate with
> my scanner (which is directly connected in above scenario)?

To wake up a device, all devices "above" it must be woken.

Please

1. connect any other device to that hub
2. rmmod that device's driver
3. wait 10 seconds
4. modprobe the driver again

That should show whether other devices are affected, too.

        Regards
                Oliver