On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> >
> >> I have tried other mice with this PC.  I have an old MS optical
> >> Intellimouse (the second worst mouse I've ever used), and a newer
> >> revision of the problematic Logitech BD-58, a BT-58.  Both other mice
> >> work without issue.  I've also tried the BD-58 in several other PCs,
> >> running the same kernels.  Only this mouse, in this PC, with this
> >> specific kernel configuration manifests the problem.
> >
> > That sounds like a hardware problem to me.
>
> OK.  It still bothers me that only a preemptible kernel would be able to
> see this hardware problem.  I don't know why that should be.

Me neither.  For one thing, almost none of the code in uhci-hcd is
preemptible.  For another, these errors are detected not by software but
by the hardware in the USB controller -- which should not be affected at
all by preemption.

I also don't understand why going to HZ=250 should eliminate the errors.
If they are caused by some strange software interaction with the timer
interrupt handler then they should be 4 times less frequent than with
HZ=1000 -- but still present.

> >> I don't know, but I'll give it a shot.
>
> No, it still has problems if I disable the preempt-BKL option.

Not surprising.  The BKL isn't used very much.

> I've tried killing off all of the active processes but sshd.  The only
> thing that stops the errors is killing gpm and Xorg.  I guess it's not
> surprising that if no processes have /dev/input/mice open, then there's
> nothing printed by usbmon?

Right.  If the mouse's device file isn't held open then the driver doesn't
try to talk to it.

> I did notice that when gpm opens the device, this appears in usbmon:
>
> f7c9b840 3783825882 C Ii:003:01 -2 0
> f7c9b840 3806163653 S Ii:003:01 -115 4 <

Those two lines differ in time by 23 seconds.  Presumably only the last
line appeared at the time gpm was started up.

> And when it closes the device:
>
> f7c9b840 3808386058 C Ii:003:01 -2 0
>
> Those are normal, presumably?

Yes.  The second line in the first group shows an input request being
submitted, and the only line in the second group shows it being killed.

> I'll probably try logging in locally just to see, but even when there's
> no disk activity, and gpm is nearly the last userspace process running,
> the I/O errors continue at more or less the same interval.

Also try booting into single-user mode and starting gpm.  (Forget about X;
it does so many different things that it's just too confusing.)