On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:15:54 -0400 (EDT), Alan Stern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I also don't understand why going to HZ=250 should eliminate the errors.
> If they are caused by some strange software interaction with the timer
> interrupt handler then they should be 4 times less frequent than with
> HZ=1000 -- but still present.

It's probably BIOS or ACPI. In theory, SMM should be unfazed by whatever
OS does, but in practice perhaps our timer programming does something
to it. But usually ACPI code is affected the most when HZ is bumped up,
because it runs in kernel mode and thus is a subject to kernel changes.
It's rare to see ACPI running periodic tasks, but stranger things happened.
There's a mode when ACPI interpreter is disabled, and we only use ACPI
tables for IRQ routing. I forgot details, sorry. But it may be something
to try.

-- Pete