On Sun, 13 May 2007, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Samstag, 12. Mai 2007 21:26 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > It could be controlled by both a Kconfig option and a writable module
> > parameter.  I'm not sure that would satisfy everybody.  But maybe there
> > _is_ no way to satisfy everyone...
>
> I agree. Hibernation with a mounted fs on usb sucks, no matter what
> you do.

Don't forget that "persistence" applies to network interfaces just as much
as to block devices.

> I suggest a setting per interface in sysfs.

That approach isn't feasible.  For one thing, "persistence" applies to
entire devices, not to interfaces.  For another, we can't make a device
persistent unless we also make all its ancestor hubs persistent.  (If a
hub disappears during resume then its children are destroyed too.)

While a per-device flag might be workable, I think the most
straightforward approach is a single system-wide On/Off setting.