Did you change any USB-related compile options between the two builds?

Do you have usb device suspend enabled?

Can you tell (via top) where the 100% CPU usage is coming from (i.e. df,
usb-storage thread, syswait, etc)?

Matt

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 11:24:27PM +0100, Kostas Peletidis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to report a problem I have noticed since linux-2.6.22 that
> most likely has to do with the USB subsystem.
>
> I have tried both kernel versions 2.6.22 and 2.6.22.1(configured with
> make oldconfig) and in both cases whenever I plug in a fairly
> large(500GB) MyBook usb2 hard disk df stops producing output and hangs
> for about a minute when it reaches the usb disk. Interestingly enough
> the disk's directory tree can be accessed immediately. It is only df and
> Thunar, the xfce window manager, that slow down. During this temporary
> hang the cpu load fluctuates and reaches 100% several times.
>
> When I plugged in a small(512MB) usb2 memory stick, instead of the disk,
> df paused only momentarily before terminating normally. This suggests to
> me that the size of the device affects the duration of the delay.
>
> The modules I use, apart from usb_storage, are ehci_hcd and uhci_hcd.
> With linux-2.6.21.5 both usb devices work fine.
>
> I don't know how to proceed from here. Please let me know if you need
> additional information or if I need to contact someone else. Thank you.
>

> Regards,
> Kostas Peletidis

Matthew Dharm                              Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

NYET! The evil stops here!
                                        -- Pitr
User Friendly, 6/22/1998