On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Kostas Peletidis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to report a problem I have noticed since linux-2.6.22 that
> most likely has to do with the USB subsystem.
>
> I have tried both kernel versions 2.6.22 and 2.6.22.1(configured with
> make oldconfig) and in both cases whenever I plug in a fairly
> large(500GB) MyBook usb2 hard disk df stops producing output and hangs
> for about a minute when it reaches the usb disk. Interestingly enough
> the disk's directory tree can be accessed immediately. It is only df and
> Thunar, the xfce window manager, that slow down. During this temporary
> hang the cpu load fluctuates and reaches 100% several times.
>
> When I plugged in a small(512MB) usb2 memory stick, instead of the disk,
> df paused only momentarily before terminating normally. This suggests to
> me that the size of the device affects the duration of the delay.
>
> The modules I use, apart from usb_storage, are ehci_hcd and uhci_hcd.
> With linux-2.6.21.5 both usb devices work fine.
>
> I don't know how to proceed from here. Please let me know if you need
> additional information or if I need to contact someone else. Thank you.

Turn on CONFIG_USB_DEBUG and then check the output from dmesg after
running the df program.

If it shows something peculiar then you should try using usbmon.
Instructions are in the kernel source file
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.

If all else fails, you can install Git and use bisection on the set of
kernel versions between 2.6.21 and 2.6.22, to find which patch caused
the odd behavior to start.