On 1/17/06, Z F <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> After that, and searching on the web, I saw reports that connecting a
> drive via powered USB hub helps. What it told me is that powered hub
> supplies more power than the host controller. Since I do not have a hub,
> but the PCI card had this power connector, I finally connected the power
> to it.
>
> Interestingly enough, the drive started to work perfectly in USB1.1
> mode. In USB 2.0 mode, it still crashes on large copies, but now I can copy
> about 1G file (compared to 100M before). From windows, on the same
> system, the drive works.
>
> This exact same drive works perfectly on another Linux system (which
> has different hardware). Putting this all together, I have
> concluded that :"It _appears_ to me, there are problems with the power"

I will tend to agree with you. I have an external 2.5 inch hard disk (20G IBM).
It is USB 2.0 and it works fine in USB 1.1 in my work PC (Pentium 3 1GHz)
under Windows. It never worked reliably with USB 2 on all my home PCs
(a Dell 600M notebook and two desktops). It could work for a while on the
desktops but it will crash very soon. Later I changed the box which use an
extra USB port to supply the power (it needs two USB ports) and now all
problems are solved. I find that most of the new 2.5" box with two USB
connections work nicely.

I have another sync-charger cable for an old PDA (HP Jonarda 565) and it
refuse to work on the Dell 600M as well because of power problem.

Regards,
Xiaofan