Hello,

I am unsure whether this question has already been posted on the list : a
quick search did not yield any positive result.

I am running Mandriva 2006.0 with kernel 2.6.12-12mdk on a DFI NB71-BC
motherboard.

I just bought a PCI card, in order to plug an external USB 2.0 hard disk - my
motherboard only supplies USB 1.

The module ehci_hcd was not loaded after that I plugged the card into the PCI
slot. Meanwhile, the card is seen when querying the bus with lspci :

"02:0a.0 SSA: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev
61)
02:0a.1 SSA: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 61)
02:0a.2 SSA: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 63)"

or with lspcidrake :

"usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB [SERIAL_SSA]
usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB [SERIAL_SSA]
ehci-hcd        : VIA Technologies Inc|VT8235 USB Enhanced Controller
[SERIAL_SSA]"

if I try to load the module by hand :

modprobe ehci_hcd

the module is loaded (I can see it with lsmod) and modprobe just returns
without printing anything, the driver did nothing : I saw no further log in
messages or syslog, nor any new entry appeared in /proc/bus/usb

If I plug the external disk on a builtin USB 1.1 connector, it's seen
correctly - but I am afraid that the speed will be close to a snail speed.

What could I do ?

Best regards

--
Robert Grasso