On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > I use an usb-mouse with kernel 2.6.18.3 (on debian-amd64).
> > > Often my mouse works bad (stop, slow, etc.).
> > > In /var/log/messages I got:
> > >
> > > Dec 26 17:21:37 localhost kernel: usb 3-2: reset low speed USB device
> > > using uhci_hcd and address 55
> > > Dec 26 17:21:40 localhost kernel: usb 3-2: reset low speed USB device
> > > using uhci_hcd and address 55
> > >
> > > Have you any idea?
> >
> > These resets are the result of communication errors between the mouse and
> > the computer.  It could be a problem in a USB cable or in the computer's
> > USB port.
>
> I have some doubts about it. Any minutes ago my mouse was completely
> stopped. I have no more touched it and I have just restarted from shell
> my pc. When I logged again in my desktop-env mouse works normally.

Sometimes communications errors occur and then go away again.  They could
be caused by loose electrical connections, which sometimes make contact
and sometimes don't.  There was a report of just this sort of problem
earlier in the month; it turned out that moving the USB cable to a
different port on the computer solved everything.

If you want to see more details about what's going wrong, try using the
usbmon facility (instructions are in the kernel source file
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt).

Alan Stern