Alan Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
>> Here's an aspect that I'd completely forgotten in the last year.
>> Occasionally the mouse is assigned a different ID (I think?), and then
>> stops causing resets.
>>
>> Mar  1 05:40:28 herald kernel: usb 2-1: reset low speed USB device using
>>      uhci_hcd and address 3
>> <snip much of the same>
>> Mar  1 06:11:39 herald kernel: usb 2-1: failed to restore interface 0
>>      altsetting 0 (error=-71)
>> Mar  1 06:11:39 herald kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 3
>> Mar  1 06:11:39 herald kernel: usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using
>>      uhci_hcd and address 4
>> Mar  1 06:11:39 herald kernel: usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1
>>      choice
>> Mar  1 06:11:39 herald kernel: input: Logitech USB Mouse as
>>      /class/input/input3
>> Mar  1 06:11:39 herald kernel: input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB
>>      Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-1
>
> I don't think this is related to anything.  It's probably just a
> coincidence.

The mouse triggers resets at a steady, consistent interval.  Once in a
while the kernel fails to "restore interface", and assigns the device a
new address.  Afterward there are no resets.  Surely that's relevant? :)

>> This appears in usbmon during each reset:
>>
>> f7e67b40 2881999053 C Ii:003:01 -84 0
>> f7e67b40 2882012282 S Ii:003:01 -115 4 <
>> f7e67b40 2891495532 C Ii:003:01 -84 0
>
> Those three lines are an I/O error, a retry, and another I/O error 9.5
> seconds later.

Out of curiosity, what IO was in error?  The mouse is idle prior to that
bit.  If I use a "working" kernel, the line stays completely silent.
You mentioned that newer kernels try to detect problems that the old
ones ignored.  Is the kernel probing the mouse to make sure it's still
there?

> From the fact that your two errors occurred more than 9 seconds apart, it
> seems that you are encountering some intermittent electrical or
> interference problem.

...except that it's not intermittent.  When the system is resetting the
mouse, it does so at very predictable intervals (about every 90 seconds
with FC6's latest kernel).

> The patch below may help; it fixes a small bug in
> the logic used by usbhid for deciding when to reset a device.  It should
> apply to 2.6.20 or 2.6.21-rc.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot this weekend.  I really appreciate your
time looking at this.