* Krzysztof Opasiak | 2015-01-28 13:38:33 [+0100]:

>> the first thing a user of usb-gadget has to do, is create a
>> directory, not a file.
>
>This:
>
>$ modprobe libcomposite
>$ mount none -t configfs /sys/kernel/config/usb-gadget
don't you mount it at config and cd to usb-gadget then?

>$ mkdir available_functions
>$ cd available_functions
>$ mkdir functions/ecm.eth0
>$ mkdir configs/c.1
>$ ln -s functions/ecm.eth0 configs/c.1
>$ echo `ls /sys/class/udc | tail -n 1` > UDC
>
>works fine with current kernel and  will *fail* after adding
>available_functions file due to name already taken even
>immediately after system boot.

Seriously? This will break?

>> > Moreover some broken userspace programs may relay on fact that
>> > usb-gadget directory contains only gadget dirs. And some other
>> things
>> > there is a lot of possible breaks in userspace.
>>
>> if there are any users who rely on the fact that *only* directories
>> exist under usb-gadget, that's wrong.
>
>I know that it's wrong but that's what Documentation/ABI says
>about usb-gadget directory.

You started with an incomplete interface which lacks something as you
describe it essential and you documented it ABI. Now you try to
duct-tape it somewhere so you don't break the ABI you created?
So you have two ways to get out of it:
- ignore this special case ABI breakage you came up with
- drop "usb-gadget" (or deprecate it) and use usb-gadget2 instead with
  available_functions

This reached kindergaden level by now.

Sebastian