Another note - I noticed the load average doesn't go down 2.02; and top doesn't evidence any particularly CPU-hungry or memory-hungry process. However, dmesg and mpd processes are still stuck, the rest of the system runs normally apparently. The USB disk spinned down, like thhere is no process accessing it - at the moment ony mpd was accessing it, rtorrent and screen where terminated before it was too late, strangely I got the chance to do so.
It's very interesting guys.
Enrico

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015, Alan Stern wrote:

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 19:02:48
From: Alan Stern <st...@rowland.harvard.edu>
To: Enrico Mioso <mrkiko...@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-usb@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: intensive IO on usb-storage device causing system lock

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015, Enrico Mioso wrote:

Hi guys.
I finally was able to obtain some informations about what was going on - infos
I retained useful.
I am re-sending these, since it seems my previous message didn't get to the
list - but might be I am wrong and didn't find it.
This time I posted all the traces to a pstebin, so that it's easier to read the
message and might be there are less problems with it in general.

1 - First trace: there where no problems
http://cxg.de/_298ad9.htm

2 - Trace immediately before the crash
http://cxg.de/_c43356.htm

Without CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER, the stack traces are not very helpful.

3 - lspci:
http://cxg.de/_4f202a.htm
4 - lsusb:
http://cxg.de/_223f6c.htm

Any help / hint would be very apreciated.

You have two USB mass storage devices.  Do you know which one is
connected to the problem?

You can try using usbmon to see what's going on at the USB level.  See
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt for instructions.