Dear Oliver,

I'm not really sure what happened, but now USB appears to be working perfectly
well... In the meantime, since my last checks, I simply updated Tumbleweed and
entered the command below as root (I rebooted twice since then: USB still
working!).

I didn't find anything relevant in the Tumbleweed updates, only this one is
related to USB, but the only commit doesn't seem to be fixing anything at
runtime:

==== usb_modeswitch ====
Subpackages: usb_modeswitch-data

- Avoid a race in make install, which lead to packaging a truncated
  usb_modeswitch_dispatcher script. Fixes boo#998641

But I dont think the command below is still active after a reboot (is it?) and
it seems just to activate some more debugging, so I really don't understand
how this happened!

Sorry, this must be a quite frustrating report...

Cheers,
Pierre.