Hi there,

David Mann wrote:
Chris Wilkinson wrote:

If you're looking for a cheap new 19", Dick Smith sell theirs for a snip
under $400. Its a DSE badged Proview...not state of art, but certainly
good-value-for-money...

For less than that you could buy a cheap standalone DVD player and watch on your TV... but your suggestion is a very good excuse to buy a bigger monitor. I'd suggest getting something halfway decent though.

Its still a good budget conscious choice...if I were a graphics pro I'd be using something that costs twice what my current entire system costs, but my choice of linux was made for budgetary, as well as curiosity reasons...

Only low quality Dolby Digital stuff is cheap, and I'd rather just fire
the 5.1 channel sound out a coax or optical cable to my 'proper' home
theatre, complete with 12" 'trouser-filler' subwoofer! ;^)

Perhaps you haven't seen the Bladder Buster... (I'm not associated, etc) http://www.worldsbestspeakers.com/bladder.htm

Arvus do make some interesting stuff, but price is a bit too high for my liking. I did see a project where a guy in the UK turned most of his basement (located under his lounge) into a sub-box, complete with 16 (no this ain't a typo!), yes 16x 15" long-throw drivers, driven by about 4k of amp, and ported into his lounge from what appeared to be open grates of an underfloor heating system!

Frequency response was measured in-room at 8Hz -> X-over freq, +/- 3dB
at over 120dB SPL. Not so-much trouser-filler, more like trouser
destroyer! He had to improve structural stability of his house just
to crank the thing up a bit!!

My beast isn't so powerful but it manages to scrape under the 20Hz
mark just at lower SPL...its homemade with a long-throw
Philips driver, with a 35kg MDF ported cabinet. My port tuning
can stress the 12" a bit, especially under load, but its not bad
for a $300 dollar project!

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.