Nobody read my post properly...

There is no dynamic configurations going on here. I said that 169.254.0.0 keeps appearing in my ROUTE table even though NONE of the interfaces are configured to receive an IP address via DHCP.

In other words, only one interface is initialised at boot and that has a static IP. There is no interface with a 169.254 address and no interface that DHCPs. The address is always there even after a reboot. I thought that the route table was in essence flushed on reboot. So somewhere, that address is being put back in - as the only user of the box I know that I didn't do it!

Eth1 is not configured to come up on boot. Is it possible that if eth1 is told that it has a static IP, but is not configured with one, that it messes with the route table? What sense would that be? Especially when the network isn't configured to use that device as the next hop!

Michael.