On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:22:11AM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> however....I have never seen a non windows box come up with a
> 169.254.x.x IP address on dhcp failure. On all the implementations I
> have seen, once dhcp times out the interface does not come up, nor
> does it make an entry in the routing table.

It's not a requirement of the DHCP standard to do this.  Use of the IPv4
link-local range is another mechanism (often called Zeroconf, or
Rendezvous) for a machine to automatically attain an IP address.

Windows is not the only OS that supports this.  Mac OS 9 and above also
support this, and I suspect that recent versions of Solaris may also
support this.  By the sounds of it, Red Hat are headed down the path of
supporting in in Red Hat 9.

Cheers,
-mjg
--