> >IANAIPCOPU but does that suggest the modem is at fault, or at least not
>
>     ^^^^^^^^^   translation required please.

It's a mutation of the popular IANAL - "I am not a lawyer". I parsed this as
"I am not an IPCOP user".

Back to the topic, thanks to all those who replied. I'm not sure if it'd be
the modem or not, when the machine used to run debian the ppp logs would
certainly show accurately when the connection got dropped - I had a little
perl script watch for "Exit." in the logs and redial, that I'd leave running
overnight so it'd reconnect by itself for long downloads. I guess I'll just
do something similar, but in bash, and using "/etc/init.d/rc.red [stop]
[start]" (thanks Rob :-)

Weird - well at least I know it works correctly for others, so it's likely
something to do with my setup and I've gotta fix it myself.

Cheers all,
Gareth.