On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:19:38AM +1300, Carl Cerecke wrote:
> updatedb is set to run about an hour after I boot up in the morning.
> Once it is started, my machine is almost unusable for 10 minutes.

> # hdparm -i /dev/hdc
> /dev/hdc:
>  UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5

What does 'hdparm -d -u /dev/hdc' return?

What does 'dmesg | grep -C2 ide[0-4]' return?

Particularly, make sure DMA is on.  If it isn't, check that your kernel
supports (and is setting up) your IDE controller(s) correctly.  You can
also force DMA on by running 'hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc', but I don't
recommend doing that.  If the kernel isn't setting DMA up automatically,
it's usually not a good idea to force the issue.

You can also enable the 'unmask IRQ' feature by running 'hdparm -u1
/dev/hdc', this will usually improve the responsiveness of the system
during heavy I/O, but read the hdparm(8) manpage and make sure the dire
warnings of FS corruption don't apply to your system

Cheers,
-mjg
--
Matthew Gregan                     |/