Michael JasonSmith wrote:
On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 14:02, Carl Cerecke wrote:

Does your machine feel sluggish if you run something like 'dd
if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/somewhere/on/hdc/testfile bs=32k count=10k'[0]?
How about when running 'find / > /dev/null'?

Bingo. It feels like video conferencing on dial-up. Same as updatedb.

I've been pondering this some more… * Does updatedb slow down your machine *only* when it runs across hdc, not hda, hdb, or hdd? * Is updatedb working across multiple disks at the same time?

hdc is a hard drive hda is a CD-ROM

My boss had a look and said "Why did you set your machine set up like that?" I replied "Why did *you* set up my machine like that?".

There are no other hard disks on the machine. I guess it is possible that the mobo was only designed to handle CD-ROM drives on ide1 perhaps, but this seems unlikely.