Lance Blackler wrote:

Talking of fixits and stuff - I'd like an opinion on the following.

I have been given a 486 (DX475) Digital HiNote laptop - no CDROM 20mb of RAM 1.3gb hard drive. I would like to load Linux of some flavour on it so that I can use it for word processing (Abiword) and checking webmail etc, while connected via my home network (56k modem on my main box).

Question is - should I use an old distro with a 2.2 kernel and KDE1 or 2 or use more uptodate Debian (ie one of the cutdown Knoppix versions) and a lightwieght window manager - fluxbox or similar, what do people think?

What I would do with that:

Use a purely console setup without X, BUT using frame buffer for graphics with a limited range of apps: noteably web browsing with links2. mplayer and a few others.- there must be some pretty good console word processors ? I rember from DOS days it took a long time before any WYSIWYG wp was better than Word Perfect.
You should be able to make a usefull system this way.
maybe look a transfer of LNX-BBC(50MB live CD) to the harddrive...

/chris