NTFS Needs a regular defrag just like Fat did. WinXP comes with a really bad
defrag util as part of the system tools. (right click drive > properties >
tools as always).  It may fragment abit slower than fat did but it still
fragments alot especially if you install and uninstall alot of stuff. Though
it doesn't seem to affect preformance quite as much as it did on fat systems.
The main reason for running defrag before resizing is not to so much
defragment the drive as to move the files away from the "end" of the drive.
Allowing the resize programs to deal with empty space which saves having to
worry about moving all the data around and rewritting it earlier on the
drive.

Chad