I found that esr article just as i was trying to configure my gentoo box
(cups) to print to a win xp box with an epson printer. My main problem
related to the need to authenticate using a user/password combination on
the windows box. Like esr I was thrown a number of username/password
dialogs along the way, but it was never clear if what it wanted was:

a) the root password of the box i was on, so it could change the local
print setup; or
b) the user/passwd combination for a user authorised to use the printer
on the XP box.;
c) (on the basis that neither of those seemed to work anyway) some
obscure password needed for cups.

I still suspect that irt is not quite right to have a local queue on the
linux box that then fires the job off to yet another queue on the XP box,
but I am not sure how else to do it - and in fact i am only assuming
thats what is happenning.

Now tonight's trick will be to get the XP box printing and scanning
to/from the linux box running cups/samba/sane.

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>