On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:19:48 +1300
Mike Beattie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 11:09:24AM +1300, Michael JasonSmith wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 10:54, Mike Beattie wrote:
> > > uuencode?
> > >From http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=uuencode
> >         Program used to encode binary data as ASCII. Uuencode was
> >         originally used with uucp to transfer binary files over serial
> >         lines which did not preserve the top bit of characters but is
> >         now used for sending binary files by e-mail and posting to
> >         Usenet newsgroups etc. The program uudecode reverses the effect
> >         of uuencode, recreating the original binary file exactly.
>
> Right, and we'd already established that uuencode would be what Nick was
> after. i.e., go and look at who I replied to - someone else beat me to the
> same conclusion. - I wasn't asking a question.

ok, but uuencode does not seem to actually create a mime message, you
end up with the uuencoded file as a jumble of characters in a plain text
message, rather than with mime-encoding.

I recall having this conversation once before on this list, but couldn't
find it this morning. I have since looked harder and longer at the
archives and re-discovered C Sawtell's recommendation of mpack, which
does a grand job.

NAME
       mpack - pack a file in MIME format

SYNOPSIS
       mpack  [  -s  subject ] [ -d descriptionfile ] [ -m maxsize ] [ -c con-
       tent-type ] file address ...
       mpack [ -s subject ] [ -d descriptionfile ] [ -m maxsize ]  [  -c  con-
       tent-type ] -o outputfile file
       mpack  [  -s  subject ] [ -d descriptionfile ] [ -m maxsize ] [ -c con-
       tent-type ] -n newsgroups file

DESCRIPTION
       The mpack program encodes the the named file in one or more  MIME  mes-
       sages.   The  resulting  messages are mailed to one or more recipients,
       written to a named file or set of files, or posted to a  set  of  news-
       groups.

Thanks for all the input people.

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>