Following on from Nicks statement... I had a similar experience a few
months ago after uninstalling OO in preparation for installing a new
version... in my case all the files (including 'hidden' ones) in my home
directory disappeared... but the directories were left untouched. After
swearing a bit I decided that it was a good opportunity to do a
format/reinstall as a) I didn't like the partition setup anyway b) a new
release of my favourite distro had come out and c) I had a new job and
wanted to get rid of the garbage associated with the old one...

I have deleted old copies of OO by hand ever since though. (I know I should
investigate it but there are some days I just can't handle being a guinea
pig).

Carl