On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:31:30 +1300
Michael JasonSmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 12:18, Nick Rout wrote:
> > Thanks for clarification. the weather thing i can handle by observation.
> > I am using liferea for rss/rdf/atom feeds, i see i have straw on the
> > system as well and will give it a go too.
> Straw has quite a nice little Biff-like feature, as it puts an icon in
> the Panel Notification Area whenever it has more news. Click the icon
> and Straw presents itself with the new story shown.
>
> > will straw connect to your gmail account and get new subject lines?
> I do not have a GMail account to test it on, but Straw does support Atom
> and both RSS variants.

what it really needs to support is https and secure storage of the
password. liferea can use any arbitrary command to get a feed and the
standard advertised way to get a gmail feed in their FAQ is to use:

curl -u username:password  https://gmail.google.com/gmail/feed/atom

however this leaves the password in the comfig file, which is world
readable, and also it gets stored in a cache which is also world
readable (yes I have reported this to the liferea people, yes there is a
better way, an only slightly more complicated script, just not sure what
will then appear in the cache, thats tonight's exercise)

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>