Hi,  just reporting back as suggested (to do with router behind DSL Modem
and would it all work together )...

Well, it was a complete debacle... not due to the hardware but due to
telecom. If your not signed up with Xtra you get the complete run around:

I started with setting up my dsl modem but couldn't get a dsl link light.

Support calls followed...
  phone Telecom - "Oh, your with Paradise - you have to phone them".
  Phone Paradise - "Everything looks right here - phone telecom".
  Phone Telecom - "Your with Paradise - we can't deal with you - you have to
phone Paradise".
  Phone Paradise - they try to get me phone telecom, I explain they won't
deal with me - they get in touch with telecom - come back saying all ok,
then they go through all the modem configuration - find no problem - say I
have to ring DLink help.
  Phone DLink help - "If you have an Xtra DLink Modem phone this number
...."
  Phone Number -  turns out I'm back at telecoms xtra support. They tell me
phone telecom provisioning.
  Phone telecom provisioning - they tell me to phone this other number.
  Phone other number - back at Xtra support - try's to fob me off back to
Paradise!! I insist they deal with it since I've been round that
round-a-bout. Agree to send technician later in week.
  Two hours before technician due to turn up he phones to check that I do
live at Leithfield Beach - says I can't get JetStream there as too far from
exchange (at Amberley, 8km) - telecom needs to lay fibre to the box at
Leithfield beach to enable JetStream as it is currently all copper back to
exchange.

Well, I pretty pissed off with telecom after all that (after being on hold
for each support call from five minutes to half an hour at a time) - you
think they could get the first check of connectivity right.  I checked twice
with telecom at different times to check I could get JetStream and was
always told yes by them, and they signed me up. What a f**ked up operation
they run.

Anyway, does anyone know if the final answer is correct (about the fibre) or
if there is another way it could be enabled?

Within eight houses of my place there are three people who definitely want
JetStream, and probably much more across the whole community of Leithfield
and Leithfield Beach (200 - 300 houses at a guess).  What's a good way to
pressure telecom to make it happen?

Regards,
  Bryce Stenberg.